Criterion508 Accessibility Solutions Skip to Main Content

Web Accessibility

Overview

Criterion’s approach to ADA, WCAG 2.0, and Section 508 testing is unparalleled in the industry, because we test from a “real world” perspective by including expert auditors with disabilities. Criterion believes if you want to know whether a website is accessible, ask people with disabilities.

Web Accessibility Testing

The use of the assistive technologies (software or hardware used by people with disabilities) during our audit process, ensures accurate web accessibility test results.

Assistive technologies used by our auditors during accessibility testing include:

  • JAWS screen reader
  • NVDA
  • Color contrast analyzer
  • ZoomText
  • Dragon Naturally Speaking
  • Alternative keyboard devices, etc.

Integrating Accessibility with Systems Development Life Cycle

Organizations that do the best job achieving ADA, WCAG 2.0, and Section 508 compliance incorporate accessibility principals into their systems development life cycle (SDLC). They understand that web accessibility isn’t above and beyond good web development… It is good web development!

Establishing an accessible SDLC process is not onerous. The earlier in the development process you begin integrating accessibility principles, the more likely the application will be ADA, WCAG 2.0, and Section 508 compliant upon completion.

Criterion’s auditors have extensive industry and web development experience. So, we already understand your existing business and development life cycle process. Industries we specialize in include:

  • Banking
  • Finance
  • Ecommerce
  • Retail
  • Insurance
  • Legal
  • Education
  • Technology
  • Hotel & Hospitality
  • Restaurant
  • Casino & Gaming
  • Non-Profit
  • Fashion Design
  • Grocery
  • Medical
  • Publishing
  • Federal Contracting
  • Web Design

Criterion’s Testing Process

Over the past 16 years, Criterion has streamlined our web accessibility testing process to ensure audits are completed within 10 business days. Below are Criterion’s typical project milestones toward certification:

Phase 1

  1. Project Setup – Gather login credentials and validate user acceptance test cases.
  2. ELearning licenses – Issue ELearning course licenses to your web development team.

    Courses available:

  3. Initial Audit – Our auditors manually test all unique web pages on your website, not just a small sample, and thoroughly document each unique WCAG 2.0 and Section 508 guideline failure.
  4. Initial HTML Validation Scan – We conduct the first HTML validation scan of your website. Note: Automated HTML validation can only identify approximately 18% of WCAG 2.0 A & AA guideline failures. The remaining 82% of guidelines require manual testing by web accessibility experts using assistive technologies. Visit Criterion’s Blog for more information about the limitations of HTML validation applications
  5. Remediation Kick Off Meeting – Upon completion of Phase 1 accessibility testing, Criterion will host a conference call with your project team to review the audit results.
  6. Dedicated Technical Support – We will assign an accessibility support specialist to provide your team with WCAG 2.0 and Section 508 technical support.

Phase 2

  1. Final Audit - After you confirm the repairs of accessibility failures identified in our initial audit, the original audit team will re-test your website for any outstanding WCAG 2.0 and Section 508 guideline failures.
  2. Final HTML Validation Scan – We re-scan your website to ensure all previously identified HTML accessibility failures have been properly repaired.
  3. Compliance Documentation – Upon completion of Phase 2 accessibility testing, Criterion will create the following WCAG 2.0 and Section 508 compliance documentation for your records:
    • WCAG 2.0 & Section 508 Compliance Certification with 1 Yr. Warranty
    • Website Accessibility Statement
    • Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT)
    • WCAG 2.0 Conformance Statement

JIRA Reporting System with Customized Project Dashboard

Criterion provides our clients with a highly-customized JIRA reporting system and dashboard to track WCAG 2.0 and Section 508 compliance issues identified during our audits.

Since many of our clients also use JIRA, we can upload our audit results to your JIRA instance for internal distribution and access. If a client doesn’t use JIRA, we will provide access to our secure environment for your development team to view and track audit results.

QUESTIONS?

Call (888) 508-3973 to discuss your WCAG 2.0 and Section 508 compliance requirements today!