Web Accessibility Statement
We are committed to ensuring that our website is accessible to everyone. We are continually striving to improve the experience for all of our visitors.
- All pages on this site follow U.S. Federal Government Section 508 Guidelines.
- All pages on this site follow priorities 1 & 2 guidelines of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- All pages on this site validate as HTML 4.01 Strict.
- All pages on this site use structured semantic markup. H2 tags are used for main titles, H3 tags for subtitles. For example, on this page, JAWS users can skip to the next section within the accessibility statement by pressing ALT+INSERT+3. Opera users can skip sections by using "S" and "W" to cycle forwards and backwards respectively through headings.
Web pages on http://criterion508.com/ include 3 different areas:
- A header bar that includes the main navigation,
- A main content area,
- A footer.
When CSS (Cascading Styles Sheet) are not applied to a document (or when using a screen reader), the 3 areas are read in the above order.
- Unless they are purely decorative items, all images used on this web site have suitable “alt” attributes.
- Content should be usable/accessible with images “off” (disabled).
- The main navigation bar on this site uses an Image Replacement technique that makes the links accessible to non-visual browsers.
- Many links have title attributes which describe the link in greater detail, unless the text of the link already fully describes the target.
- Links are written to make sense out of context.
- The first link in every document is a “SkipNav”; it is to skip directly to what is considered the main section of the page (the content). We have implemented this feature in a way that it allows Internet Explorer users to tab through (past that target link).
- URLs are permanent whenever possible.
- All form controls are appropriately and explicitly labeled.
- We provide an email address as an alternative form of access for our online forms.
- Forms on this site can be accessed through an access key (1).
- Form validation routine does not rely on client-side script.
- We are using non obtrusive client-side scripts.
- This site uses cascading style sheets for visual layout.
- This site uses only relative font sizes, compatible with the user-specified "text size" option in visual browsers.
- If your browser or browsing device does not support stylesheets at all, the content of each page is still readable.
- Any information conveyed through the use of color is also available without color (i.e. text based).